I spent half the month on vacation, and the rest of the month recovering from vacation and the change in the seasons. It turns out that sleeping on the ground for 9 days in a row is rough on your body in your early thirties ;)
Last month’s review.
Play — A
Stars over the Athabasca River in Jasper National Park
At the beginning of the month, I spent eleven days in Alberta, mostly at Banff and Jasper National Parks. Smoke from this summer’s innumerable fires impacted the vistas, but I had some fun with photography and art anyway :)
Watercolor of the Athabasca River and same ridgeline as pictured in the night photo
Took sunset and star photos (even though it was nearly a full moon) at my campsite in Jasper with a new friend from the neighboring campsite
- Did a watercolor painting of the Athabasca River, even though I really don’t know how to watercolor
Photobombin’ Albertosaurus at the Royal Tyrrell
Had a blast checking out the dino skeletons and superb displays at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in the Alberta Badlands
- We took a dorky train tour at an old coal mine in the Alberta Badlands
- Took texture photographs at Jasper National Park
- Went to a gin bar and tried some Albertan gins with various tonics – Park Gin was the winner for me
Hard-copy markups, working my way through Part One
Had a hard time getting back into my book after eleven days on vacation. Also spent a good bit of time editing photos.
- What I did: Hard copy markups for the rest of Chapter 6 and Chapters 12, 13, 14 & 15, and outlining Chapter 19
- Time editing: 2 hours
- Time outlining: 50 minutes
- Plan for next week: Finish outlining chapter 19 and make edits for chapters edited this week
Writing Stats for Aug 21-27, 2017
- Starting word count: 137,103
- End word count: 136,075
- New words written: 349
- Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 4 hours
- Editing hours (estimate): 1 hour 15 minutes
status updates for the week
- Reorganization to remove two (not yet written) chapters, yay!
- Edited and revised first two scenes in Chapter 6
- Edited and revised Chapter 18 (now Chapter 16) – but moved in another scene that needs editing, and started writing a partial scene
- Expanded outline of scene in Chapter 15 (now Chapter 18)
No work plan for next week because I’ll be on vacation!
I’m doing my second monthly review a week early because I’m headed on vacation and won’t have wifi access. So this is for August 1 through August 26. Here’s July’s review, and my thinking behind trying a monthly review.
Proof of writing, aka coffee shops I have known
what did I make last month?
- Total New Novel Words Written: 4,105 (39% fewer than last month)
- Total Hours Novel Writing (Scrivener): 16 hours 45 minutes (22% less than last month)
- Total Hours Novel Editing (estimate): 4 hours 45 minutes (same as last month)
- Wrote a blog post about how much it cost to replace my lawn with a garden
- Sketched front and profile character designs for the main character in my Little Mermaid comic retelling (last year’s NaNoWriMo project)
- Sketched a rough mockup for a T-shirt design
I completed novel progress reports for Weeks 1 & 2 and Week 3.
creative work to make in September
I’ll be on vacation for a good portion of September so I’ll get a nice break from writing. I might bring along printed chapters to mark up, but there’s a good chance that I won’t do anything related to my book while I’m away, and that’s fine. It would also be a good opportunity for me to do some outlining for upcoming chapters. Earlier in the year, I was using a chapter worksheet to drill down on each chapter, so I might dig that back out too.
I need to start putting a little more thought into my NaNoWriMo project for this fall. I’m continuing the fairy tale trend and plan to do a retelling of Beauty and the Beast in space.
The next issue of Liminal Stories comes out in October, so I’ll need to illustrate my assigned short story in September.