Hard-copy markups, working my way through Part One
Had a hard time getting back into my book after eleven days on vacation. Also spent a good bit of time editing photos.
- What I did: Hard copy markups for the rest of Chapter 6 and Chapters 12, 13, 14 & 15, and outlining Chapter 19
- Time editing: 2 hours
- Time outlining: 50 minutes
- Plan for next week: Finish outlining chapter 19 and make edits for chapters edited this week
Writing Stats for Aug 21-27, 2017
- Starting word count: 137,103
- End word count: 136,075
- New words written: 349
- Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 4 hours
- Editing hours (estimate): 1 hour 15 minutes
status updates for the week
- Reorganization to remove two (not yet written) chapters, yay!
- Edited and revised first two scenes in Chapter 6
- Edited and revised Chapter 18 (now Chapter 16) – but moved in another scene that needs editing, and started writing a partial scene
- Expanded outline of scene in Chapter 15 (now Chapter 18)
No work plan for next week because I’ll be on vacation!
I’m doing my second monthly review a week early because I’m headed on vacation and won’t have wifi access. So this is for August 1 through August 26. Here’s July’s review, and my thinking behind trying a monthly review.
Proof of writing, aka coffee shops I have known
what did I make last month?
- Total New Novel Words Written: 4,105 (39% fewer than last month)
- Total Hours Novel Writing (Scrivener): 16 hours 45 minutes (22% less than last month)
- Total Hours Novel Editing (estimate): 4 hours 45 minutes (same as last month)
- Wrote a blog post about how much it cost to replace my lawn with a garden
- Sketched front and profile character designs for the main character in my Little Mermaid comic retelling (last year’s NaNoWriMo project)
- Sketched a rough mockup for a T-shirt design
I completed novel progress reports for Weeks 1 & 2 and Week 3.
creative work to make in September
I’ll be on vacation for a good portion of September so I’ll get a nice break from writing. I might bring along printed chapters to mark up, but there’s a good chance that I won’t do anything related to my book while I’m away, and that’s fine. It would also be a good opportunity for me to do some outlining for upcoming chapters. Earlier in the year, I was using a chapter worksheet to drill down on each chapter, so I might dig that back out too.
I need to start putting a little more thought into my NaNoWriMo project for this fall. I’m continuing the fairy tale trend and plan to do a retelling of Beauty and the Beast in space.
The next issue of Liminal Stories comes out in October, so I’ll need to illustrate my assigned short story in September.
Writing Stats for July 31-Aug 13, 2017
- Starting word count: 137,882
- End word count: 135,830
- New words written: 2,132
- Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 10 hours
- Editing + outlining hours (estimate): 2 hours 30 minutes
status updates for the last two weeks
- Outlined first scene in Chapter 15 (previously 16)
- Wrote two scenes in Chapter 15 (previously 16)
- Revised and edited Chapter 8 (removed 164 words / 11% and 69 words / 12%)
- Revised Chapter 11 and edited first scene (removed 302 words / 17%)
- Reorganized upcoming chapters and removed plotlines that would add too many words
Gave both the meh coffee shop and nice tea shop another try. I wish they were open a little later, both close at 6pm. I’ve actually wound up at the meh coffee shop three times just due to convenience. Also scoped out a new local tasting room as a potential writing spot for NaNoWriMo, but I’m not sold.
work Plan for Next week
- Write remaining scene in Chapter 15 (previously 16)
- Finish ending of Chapter 15 scene (previously 16)
- Edit second scene in Chapter 11 and finish writing ending
- Outline / zero draft Chapter 18
- Edit Chapters 16 and 17