Writing Stats for February 13-19, 2017
- Starting word count: 131,446
- End word count: 133,459
- Net new words written: 2,013
- Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 7 hours 30 minutes
status updates for the week
- Chapter 3: divided into two (now chapters 1 and 5)
- New chapter 1: first draft complete
- Old chapter 1 (now chapter 2): 90% complete
- Chapter 7: revised first draft
What I Worked On
What started as Chapter 3 turned into 3800 words only halfway done, so I decided to split the chapter in two. I’d been considering the change anyway since this chapter introduces my chief POV character, and I was concerned about waiting until the third chapter to bring her in.
I couldn’t bring myself to face writing an entirely new scene, so I revised Chapter 7 instead to match some of the decisions I made in the earlier chapters.
Chapter 2 is killing me. I didn’t outline this chapter and it’s been especially painful to write. I pieced together and polished up the three blocks of text I’d already written, but I still need to write a brief wrap-up to call the chapter done.
Several times this week, I wrote something and then deleted it the next day for being unnecessary. My word count is already so high, I can’t afford to waste any words. Still, it can be a little frustrating. I just have to remind myself that the more I do of this, the better I’ll get at knowing what not to bother writing before I write it instead of catching it on the read-through.
Work Plan for Next Week
- Finish writing Chapter 2
- Write Chapter 5
- Outline Chapter 6