Enjoy two visual recipes for a fall dinner recipe that easily becomes a tasty lunch the following day: Roasted root vegetable and sausage bowl, with leftovers becoming a wrap.
Dinner: Roasted Vegetable and Sausage Bowl
- Dice some root vegetables (small), toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast until soft and starting to get caramelized on the edges. For two people, I used: one rutabega, one half small acorn squash, two parsnips, and one beet. Forty-five minutes at 375 degrees F worked for me.
- In a saute pan, saute half or one whole onion, adding a sausage ( and white beans when the onion’s soft and cooking till the sausage is browned. Transfer to a serving dish and deglaze the pan with red wine. Add olive oil and honey, plus some salt and herbs if you like.
- Combine everything and serve with salad on the side. I also braised some beet greens in wine and honey.
Leftover Lunch Transformation: Roasted Vegetable Wrap
I’m roughly following my 7-S Super Wrap Equation:
- Substrate: whole wheat wrap or tortilla
- Substance: leftover roasted veggie bowl
- Stuffing: leftover salad (or lettuce, carrots, apple, and walnuts if you don’t have leftover salad) and alfalfa sprouts
- Spicy / Spread: honey mustard
- Sweet: cranberry sauce
- Salty: jack cheese
Wrap in foil and you’re good to go! Pro tip: put a mark showing the top of the wrap so you know which end to eat from!