My mission is to help artists and designers find inspiration in the natural world and to promote appreciation and conservation of the Pacific Northwest’s natural resources. Through this blog I’m also exploring and strengthening my relationship with the Pacific Northwest, my new home.
Cascadia Inspired is a blog devoted to Pacific Northwest outdoor lifestyle and nature-inspired arts and crafts.
Recurring categories include:
- How To – Life hacks for creatives and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Reflections – Musings on a philosophical theme.
- Appreciations – Short appreciation of something that’s easy to take for granted.
- Excursions – Trip ideas and trail guides.
- Local Bites – Themed menu featuring local ingredients.
- Nature Lessons – Explanation of natural phenomenon or scientific methodology or featured ecosystems or species.
- Playlist – A themed spotify playlist that suits the season.
- Inspiration – Ideas for creative projects and themed art roundups.
- Motivation – Helping creatives find the motivation to pursue their passions.
- Art & Graphic Design – Original art and graphic design by Cascadia Inspired.
- Reading List – Book reviews and lists of recommended books and blogs
Cascadia Inspired, launched in summer 2012, is written and run by Tracy Durnell. I’m a graphic designer and marketer, providing public outreach for the City of Kirkland’s Solid Waste Division. In my spare time I’m a writer, photographer, amateur naturalist, and avid hiker.
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area but moved to Seattle after completing a degree in Environmental Science in Bellingham, WA. I’ve gotten to help with some neat wildlife projects, including pitfall trapping lizards and helping trap and track bobcats and cougars in Southern California, researching beetle populations in New Zealand, and snow tracking wildlife in Washington.