Weekly Novel Progress: Week of Aug 21, 2017

Writing Stats for Aug 21-27, 2017

  • Starting word count: 137,103
  • End word count: 136,075
  • New words written: 349
  • Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 4 hours
  • Editing hours (estimate): 1 hour 15 minutes

status updates for the week

  • Reorganization to remove two (not yet written) chapters, yay!
  • Edited and revised first two scenes in Chapter 6
  • Edited and revised Chapter 18 (now Chapter 16) – but moved in another scene that needs editing, and started writing a partial scene
  • Expanded outline of scene in Chapter 15 (now Chapter 18)

No work plan for next week because I’ll be on vacation!



Monthly Review: August 2017

I’m doing my second monthly review a week early because I’m headed on vacation and won’t have wifi access. So this is for August 1 through August 26. Here’s July’s review, and my thinking behind trying a monthly review.

Creatively Productive

Proof of writing, aka coffee shops I have known

what did I make last month?

  • Total New Novel Words Written: 4,105 (39% fewer than last month)
  • Total Hours Novel Writing (Scrivener): 16 hours 45 minutes (22% less than last month)
  • Total Hours Novel Editing (estimate): 4 hours 45 minutes (same as last month)
  • Wrote a blog post about how much it cost to replace my lawn with a garden
  • Sketched front and profile character designs for the main character in my Little Mermaid comic retelling (last year’s NaNoWriMo project)
  • Sketched a rough mockup for a T-shirt design

I completed novel progress reports for Weeks 1 & 2 and Week 3.

creative work to make in September

I’ll be on vacation for a good portion of September so I’ll get a nice break from writing. I might bring along printed chapters to mark up, but there’s a good chance that I won’t do anything related to my book while I’m away, and that’s fine. It would also be a good opportunity for me to do some outlining for upcoming chapters. Earlier in the year, I was using a chapter worksheet to drill down on each chapter, so I might dig that back out too.

I need to start putting a little more thought into my NaNoWriMo project for this fall. I’m continuing the fairy tale trend and plan to do a retelling of Beauty and the Beast in space.

The next issue of Liminal Stories comes out in October, so I’ll need to illustrate my assigned short story in September.

Continue reading

Weekly Novel Progress: Week of Aug 14, 2017

Writing Stats for Aug 14-20, 2017

  • Starting word count: 135,830
  • End word count: 137,103
  • New words written: 1,973
  • Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 4 hours 45 minutes
  • Editing hours (estimate): 1 hour 15 minutes

status updates for the week

  • Edited / rewrote second scene in Chapter 11
  • Finished writing scene in Chapter 15
  • Outlined half of scene in Chapter 15
  • Edited half of Chapter 16
  • Edited / rewrote Chapter 17

Continue reading

Bi-Weekly Novel Progress: Aug 1 – 13, 2017

Writing Stats for July 31-Aug 13, 2017

  • Starting word count: 137,882
  • End word count: 135,830
  • New words written: 2,132
  • Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 10 hours
  • Editing + outlining hours (estimate): 2 hours 30 minutes

status updates for the last two weeks

  • Outlined first scene in Chapter 15 (previously 16)
  • Wrote two scenes in Chapter 15 (previously 16)
  • Revised and edited Chapter 8 (removed 164 words / 11% and 69 words / 12%)
  • Revised Chapter 11 and edited first scene (removed 302 words / 17%)
  • Reorganized upcoming chapters and removed plotlines that would add too many words

Writing Practice

Gave both the meh coffee shop and nice tea shop another try. I wish they were open a little later, both close at 6pm. I’ve actually wound up at the meh coffee shop three times just due to convenience. Also scoped out a new local tasting room as a potential writing spot for NaNoWriMo, but I’m not sold.

work Plan for Next week

  • Write remaining scene in Chapter 15 (previously 16)
  • Finish ending of Chapter 15 scene (previously 16)
  • Edit second scene in Chapter 11 and finish writing ending
  • Outline / zero draft Chapter 18
  • Edit Chapters 16 and 17


How Much Did It Cost to Replace My Lawn with a Garden?

AFTER: Garden in summer 2017, the third year after removing the lawn

I recently read through Emily Henderson’s backyard makeover and was horrified at the cost ($19k for materials + $10k for design and labor). We were able to replace our lawn for much less – just over $4k for the first three years – because we did the design and labor ourselves, and planted smaller plants that would take a while to grow in.

To be fair, my yard’s smaller and has no remaining lawn; additionally, we don’t have any boulders or hardscape (we plan to install a path) We did build an arbor ourselves, which was the most expensive single part of the initial installation!

BEFORE: My uninspiring “lawn” aka clover patch with two anchor shrubs in May 2013

Continue reading