Three years ago (spring 2015), we ripped out our lawn and replaced it with a pollinator-friendly, drought-tolerant, and native garden. We happened to pick the worst possible summer to replace the garden – the drought was so bad the water districts called for voluntary water reductions and asked people to stop watering their lawns etc.
I’ve appreciated other people’s monthly reviews, and am going to try out my own to help me stay accountable with my goals other than writing (as well as writing). In the past, I’ve tried to do mid-year or quarterly check-ins on my annual goals, but that feels a bit too intermittent, and easy to forget.
Structuring My Monthly Review
To start, I’m structuring my monthly review based on the priorities I identified for myself in my annual review process:
- Creatively productive
- Healthy habits & routines
- Active lifestyle
- Comfortable, sustainable home
- Strategic spending & saving
For each priority area, I’ll assess how I did the previous month with a combination of tracked statistics and narrative evaluation. I’ll discuss my tracking tools and processes, then identify gaps and challenges that are holding me back from meeting my goals. Last, I’ll evaluate what I can do the next month to improve, whether it’s a new tracking method, a new technique to try, or a new habit to develop.
Writing Stats for July 10-16, 2017
- Starting word count: 144,583
- End word count: 141,703 (removed outline docs, existing chapter 13 and prologue)
- New words written: 2,048
- Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 6 hours 45 minutes
- Editing hours (estimate): 2 hours 50 minutes
status updates for the week
So close, but still not done with part one!
- Revised Chapter 15
- Wrote new scene for Chapter 13
- Edited most of Chapter 5 (on paper)
- Rewrote Chapter 9
Gave the new coffee shop another shot, with the addition of biking there :) Also went to another writing meetup that I hit a few times a year.
Still need to figure out where to write on Thursday afternoons. Attempted to do a smidge of work at the local library but it’s not a comfortable workspace and I wound up writing emails instead.
work Plan for Next week
- Outline and write remaining scene for Chapter 6
- Fill in small gap in Chapter 15
- Revise Chapter 10
- Write remaining scene in Chapter 13
- Review outline of Part Two
I have a tendency to accept annoyances — in my health, out in the world, and in relationships — as just the way things are. Many of us, I think, grow complacent about trivial irritations, from allergies that get a little bit worse every year to potholes in our neighborhood. I’ve been learning that I can’t expect anyone to advocate for me — but I can, and should, advocate for myself.
I’m combining two weeks of writing updates since I was on vacation over the Fourth of July weekend :)
Writing Stats for June 26-July 9, 2017
- Starting word count: 148,210
- End word count: 144,583 (cleared out some outline docs and unused scene)
- New words written: 3,509
- Scrivener hours (per Rescue Time): 6 hours 30 minutes (RescueTime was apparently not connected for five days, so this is an underestimate)
- Editing hours (estimate): 1 hour
status updates for the week
- Wrote last scene in Chapter 8
- Wrote last scene in Chapter 11
- Wrote Chapter 14
- Revised Chapter 2
I’m very close to finishing part one!